Reflection (Khaleej Times clip)

5:57 PM manongfatu 0 Comments

The first movie I watched was entitled “Pineapple” uploaded by Khaleej Films. This is a story of a little girl, her mother, and a pineapple. The story was very inspiring and very motivating. The presentation of the movie was very simple but you can learn many things from it. I thought that it was a boring video again but surprisingly, it isn’t. Her daughter was very curious about the pineapple. She wants to learn how to peel and slice a pineapple. She tried and tried but she can’t slice it. The mother of the little noticed that her daughter was having a difficulty in peeling and slicing the pineapple so she helped by demonstrating it. A little girl’s mom had no formal education, but she taught her a most valuable life lesson. We know that learning doesn't stop just because you might have graduated from high school or college, or that you've got kids and have lots of experience you'd like to teach them. Even if you're a teacher at the highest level, or an expert in your field, you're not done learning. A wise person questions their motivations, questions widely accepted knowledge, and learns to love asking questions in moments of ignorance, because a wise person knows when it is time to learn. By that I call her mother, a wise mom. Though her ways are different, but she gave her daughter the greatest way to learn. 

Her mother didn’t know what to say when she wanted to teach her daughter. All she knew was to show her so she would understand by an example. She taught her daughter how to peel and slice a pineapple by just showing it to her. While her mother was peeling and slicing the pineapple she follows what her mother was doing. She learned. I already experienced many things in life like learning new things and discovering new ideas by just observing. 

I can feel her mother because my father also taught me the way her mother taught her. My father shows me how things work and shows me a lot of examples so I could understand. One day, he brought me to my grandfather’s farm to plant Gemilina Trees. I really want to learn how to plant trees properly. He taught me how to plant a tree by demonstrating it. After my father demonstrates, he let me plant the remaining seedlings so that I will know how to plant. My father also taught me how to cook by showing it to me. While my father is cooking I am always by his side watching him cooking. One day, I am the only one left at home so I started practicing cooking and following my father’s way of cooking. I was very nervous that time because I’m afraid of the result of my cooking but I did not stop. I tasted it from time to time to check the taste and adding some seasonings to make the taste better. I am not just practicing how to cook but I am also learning how do taste blend and how to know if the dish was already cooked. My father and mother taught me so many things in this world that can really help me to have a wonderful life soon. 

After that day, the little girl was looking at the other children enjoying eating ice cream. She wants it too but their money is not enough to buy one. There are so many things in this world that we wanted to have but we can’t have them because we don’t have enough money. Her mother was a fruit vendor and her income was just settled for their food and for some important things. Her mother wanted to make something that can let her daughter taste like she was handling an ice cream so she sliced a pineapple with a stick then puts it inside the ice box with lots of ice in it. Her mother made her an iced pineapple on stick. Yummy. When she woke up, her mother gave her the tasty iced-pineapple. She complemented that it taste better than an ice cream. She enjoys eating the iced pineapple because it was delicious. 

 Every mother wants their children happy because the smile of their kids strengthens them, make their heart smiles to the fullest, and their children is the most important and the most valuable thing for them. Before when I was still a very young child, my mother always does her best just to give what I want, until now. Even if their having difficulties, they still look for another way just to make me happy. Mother knows best. One time, I was crying because I really want to buy a new remote controlled toy car but my mother doesn’t have any money so she promised me to buy one. The next day, I was playing outside the house then I saw my mother walking towards home carrying cellophane with something in it. She made her promise. She gave me a cool toy car and it was a lot better than the remote controlled car that I wanted. I saw my mother smiling at me and it feels so extremely happy, the moment when you see your mother smiles, it is priceless.  

I realized that it is not always the things in this world that makes us really happy. Sometimes, it is just a simple smile from our loved ones. A smile is just a small thing but it really makes our heart smiles to the fullest. A simple gift from to others makes them very happy. For example, when your friend feels down and you want him/her to smile just a little bit and make them forget their problems, try to give them small things like foods, desserts, and other stuff that can make them smile. 

After the little girl tasted the iced pineapple, she asked her mother if they can sell it because the iced pineapple on stick was great. Her mother supported her and her idea and made her 3 iced pineapples for a starting. Her mother puts the three iced pineapples in the ice box with lots of ice. After that day, her mother gave the ice box to her filled with three iced pineapple to sell so she started to walk to the market. When she got to the market, she starts selling his iced pineapple. Sadly, no one buys her iced pineapple until all of the ice inside the ice box was melted so she went home. She asked her mother why no one wants to buy her homemade iced pineapple. Her mother told her that she should go to the market and see how vendors sell their products. She went to the market and observes how vendors sell their goods. She saw a vendor who is doing a sales talk with a picture of his product on his table where his products are displayed. Later on, she learns and runs immediately home. When she got home she drew a picture with colors of her product in to a piece of paper and wrote the price besides it.

The little girl was observing and looking for an effective technique how to sell her product in the very crowded and busy market. She is looking everywhere and listening how vendor sell their goods. She was enlightened because the vendors were really great on selling their products. She keeps on searching for helpful answers to her problem on selling her sweet iced pineapple on stick.

In starting a business like this, we need to know how to be wise, how to stand out from the crowd, how to increase your artistic abilities and how to be more approachable.  So how?   Confucius once said that there were three ways to learn wisdom. First, by reflection, which is noblest. Second, by imitation, which is easiest. Lastly, by experience, which is the bitterest. Gaining wisdom, the most prized of virtues across almost all cultures, is an exercise in life learning, careful analysis, and thoughtful action.

In order to be wise, we need to cultivate the mind of a beginner, ask lots of questions, slow down, think first and talk second, learn from our mentors, practice humility, be there for other people, learn to recognize our faults, accept that we can’t know everything, be responsible and make our lives uncomplicated because the hardest journey is often the one that requires looking inside ourselves and being honest about what we find. We should try and work out what beliefs, opinions, and biases we harbor. Unless we're willing to know ourselves well and learn to love both the strengths and weaknesses within us, it is difficult to be wise. Knowing ourselves provides the space in which we can grow and forgive ourselves as we journey through life. We should be wary of any self-improvement advice that claims to have "secrets". The only "secret" to self-improvement is that it requires hard work and constancy. Beyond that, we can fiddle at the edges but we cannot change the reality of having to do the work of personal introspection and reflection on the world we are in.

Rather than prejudging situations, we should learn to keep our minds open and tell ourselves, "I don't know what to expect," which will allow us to learn and gain wisdom. When we cease to have a fixed idea of people, things, and situations surrounding us, we grow in wisdom by soaking up changes, new ideas, and don't set any person above or beneath us. 

One Time, our Santol Tree in Kidapawan City already bears its fruits and there were so many of them. We are planning to sell it. We planned to sell it because it taste so good and delicious. Its sweetness can make your day happy and make you feel refreshing. Before we sell our sweet santol fruit we must first know how to sell it wisely and politely, and persuade or encourage the customers to buy our product, the sweet santol fruit. We went to a busy and a very crowded market in our city in order to learn many things that can really help on selling our products. In the market, it was very noisy because most of the vendors are sales talking their customers and other vendors are shouting out the name of their product so that the people nearby his/her store what he/she was selling. I and my little brother, Schnei, was observing every vendor in the market and looking for an effective technique how to sell our products and to earn more money from it. While we are observing in the market, we hear different kinds of style or techniques of sales talking and we saw different kinds of picture representing their products and making it more attractive to people. We learned many things about how do vendors sell their amazing products in the market. After observing, we went immediately home because we are very excited to sell our products by using our new learnings from the market. We directly grab a pen, crayons, and a paper to draw a fruit santol with a price besides it and to present our sweet santol fruit product. We started segregating the good santol fruits from the dirty ones because customers don’t like the dirty ones because they will throw it and nobody wants to eat a dirty food.  After we segregated the santol fruits, we placed all the clean santol fruit inside the basin and we also displayed our price list with a drawn picture of a santol besides it. After that, we already started selling our amazing product, our sweet santol fruit, outside the house. It is sold per kilo but you can also buy one or two pieces only. When people tries to check our product we start to convince them and tell them that our products are delicious. We gave them one santol fruit for free, just a sample for them to know how delicious our products are. Most of the customers that we have given a free sample, most of them bought more than 2 kilos of our products. Giving them a free sample is our technique because after they tasted our sweet santol fruit they want to eat more so they really want to buy more of our products because it was very delicious. We are so happy because we learn many things about selling products, doing business, handling customers and we also learn how to earn money from small things.

At first I have a doubt on myself because I feel shy sometimes standing at the crowd. I always bear in my mind that a person who stands out from the crowd is someone who is comfortable with who they are, has the confidence to be unique and to let their individuality shine. Standing out from the crowd means that you're not afraid to speak your mind and to avoid following others when to do so results in sameness and conformity. A person who stands out from the crowd may be someone whose appearance is striking in some way, but more often than not, it is about someone who generates admiration and is remembered by others for being someone special and worthy of looking up to. By the kind of mindset I have, I am able to do what I am afraid to do. Standing out from the crowd might not be something we can achieve every day of our life, it's definitely a worthwhile goal to aspire to as a whole, especially if it helps us achieve our other goals in life.

Deciding what standing out from the crowd means for me will be the best answer. Is this about looking as different from everyone else around me as I can possibly be or is it about going the extra mile to prove that I am one of a kind in skills, talent, or personality? Standing out from the crowd might be about trying to live my best and be the best. Or, it might be about trying to have a unique style or look that I've created myself without borrowing from other people's ideas. At its most basic, standing out from the crowd means embracing my individuality and trusting that my own choices are good ones. The person I am projecting out to everyone will stand out more successfully if I am fully confident about myself. This is what I learn from observing myself. And I can see myself to the life of the little girl in the video since she was also learning through experience and observations. 

Sometimes, our perception of ourselves is very complex. Ironically, much like we cannot see our own nose, we are often blinded to the things that we are best at. It can be really hard to identify our brightest talents and they are often in the places we least expect. We may even be very good at things that we perceive ourselves as being bad at. There are so many good reasons I want to explore my talents but it's going to take a little work. Because I am likely blind to what some of my talents really are, a good place to start when evaluating my talents is to just open my mind to the possibilities, keeping in mind that talents extend beyond just playing the guitar or dancing like a pro. Talents come in all shapes and sizes and extend into many areas of life. For example, being able to read emotions very accurately is a very useful talent especially when approaching your costumers. As I reflect on myself in search of my talents, I started by looking at my past. I looked at the things that I've done and I've enjoyed, I looked at the times when I really excelled. And I even ask myself questions like "What am I most proud of that I've done?" or "When was I so proud that I didn't care what anyone thought?"

Another thing I can think about are the times in my life that I've been challenged. I think about the tough situations that I've had to deal with. Times of trial can often reveal our hidden skills. For example, when my dad had a high blood pressure. Staying alert and calm in an emergency is a really useful talent. I shared this because discovering talents by observing oneself is one thing I can be proud of and these talents might help me a lot in my career in the future.

The things that make us happy can also reveal our talents. Let’s think about the things that we love to do. Do people ever give us compliments on it? Do they ever ask for our help with it? We might not think of it as a talent but it probably is. Do you ever completely lose track of time? You start doing something and you just don't even notice time passing? This might hint at our talent. For example, maybe we get lost when we're modding our favorite video game. This might be one of our talents. Listen to how we talk. Do we ever find ourselves rambling to our family or to our best friend about this subject that means so much to us? This might be another hint at a talent we have. This is my thoughts and I see possibilities on it.

Now, there's a big difference between what we enjoy and what we're good at. We might think of our talents only being things that we love doing, but it's important to remember that our talents are often things we don't enjoy or things we don't even think about. This is why it's important to take a long hard look at what we're actually good at. 

Let’s think about things that come naturally to us. Things we don't struggle with. Do we ever find ourselves telling someone, "Never mind, it's easier if I do it" or "Here, let me help you with that"? Do we find yourself correcting people? I think, these behaviors usually indicate something that we're good at and know a lot about. Having also an outside perspective, other people may find it easier to see what we're good at. Let’s just ask around and people will usually be happy to tell us what they see as our strengths. Let’s be sure to talk to people that know us well but also people that barely know us. Both will see us in different ways and the differences that they see can tell us even more about ourselves.

One of the things I learned from my father is to take chances or risks and working hard. Risks and chances are the things in life that can catapult us forward if they work out. Many people won't take up the challenge because they're afraid of failure. Yet, without failure nothing new can be gained and it is only those who are willing to take risks and to work hard at their dreams who eventually break through and succeed. Let’s have a well-placed sense of faith in our mission, and a willingness to take risks if we want to stand out from the crowd. Another is to have good manners. Politeness opens doors and keeps the people open. Manners might seem old-fashioned to some these days but they are the currency of respect and when a person feels respected, they remember the well-mannered person forever. People are very fond of telling one another about the rare acquaintance of theirs who has "impeccable manners" and I am making it sure that I have one of that trait. 

Saying "thank you” also is being taught to us by our parents. Saying it for all the little things people do, as well as the big things. Sending thank you cards to people held open a door for me when my hands were full, or took me out for a lovely evening. In business, this is also very important when people we've networked with help us on our way.

Shaking people's hand is also another thing, with strength and passion. Showing people from the outset that we're someone with heart and conviction.

Smile—the greatest learning I wanted to keep forever. There are never enough smiles to go around. Let’s be someone who provides at least five smiles for every one frown we spot.

Getting back, the little girl was enjoying selling her sweet iced pineapple on stick and she was gracefully and happily selling her products in the market. Her customers are increasing because her products were really delicious and it taste better than an ice cream. Most of her customers were kids, the young ones, because it taste like an ice cream but it was better than an ice cream and it is also cheaper than a simple ice cream.  Most of the people can afford her iced pineapple on stick but its taste was very priceless. The number of her frozen pineapple on stick were increasing too because she needs more of it so that she can sell more of it and earn more and more money. She really had a great help to her mother. Her mother was very lucky and blessed because of her smart and business-minded daughter. I really admire the little girl because of the way she thinks and the she learns different things. She was really enjoying learning and obviously she also really enjoys life. It started with just a small idea but then this small idea grows and make them sell more and more products and earn more and more money. Her mother was very proud of her because she helped her and made her smile by just doing these small things. Every one of us really wanted to be happy and have a successful life, and this is also a sign that we are really enjoying life. The little girl really enjoys her life with just this small productive things like their product, the frozen pineapple on stick. These things do not only makes her earn money and a great help to her mother but also gives her inspirations and joy in her heart. Even if she was still in a very young age, she was already helping her mother earning money while enjoying her business at the same time. 
           
When I was also in her age, I only think about playing and having fun. She doesn’t have friends only her mother. I am very proud of her because she does not have any enough time to play but her time was only in selling her frozen pineapple stick. She also like playing while selling her products. It is very clear that she really wants to help her mother earn money for their everyday living. I really want to be a successful person but first I will study well and I will always do my best in school. In order to be a successful person, I should do it step by step so the output would be great. I really want to follow what did the little girl too. I really want to discover new things and discover new ideas, concepts, designs and many things that can really help to change the world into a better one. I really want to have a wonderful life and to be the best employee or an employer soon. I realized that when we do small things and we do it correctly and very well, it will surely grow into a bigger and better business. Many of the business are handled with an uneducated businessman/businesswoman that’s why their business never grow. The learning and the knowledge about business is very important because this will tell us what to do and how to do it. I also wanted to be a successful business man. I like doing businesses because it gives us daily income in order for us to buy our daily needs like emergency money, grocery, water bills, electricity bills and etc. unlike working as an employee only, you will have to really wait 15 days depending on your company on when to get your salary. A good businessman with a good service catches most of the customers. Doing well to you and especially to other individuals will always rewards us with good things and nice experiences. Ever one of us must be honest to ourselves and to others. For example, if you will really tell the customers what that your products are great, your product should also be creating. It must be actual better than visual. This will also enable us to gain the customer’s trust and their attention. Once the customer tasted one of your dish and they really liked it, they will really go back there and eat a lot. If the customers know that your products are good, they will really go back to this place and eat different kinds of fruits. We should always understand our customers because they paid us but we should let them know their limitations when entering a super mall. If your customers don’t understand some of the services in your restaurant you should explain it to them clearly and seriously. If the customers really want to eat your product they will be visiting your business again and again. Everything happens for a reason. 

One day my father taught me to be a good person towards other people because this will really help me to gain friends and to gain more experience. The good deeds that I have done will come back to me. Good karma. My father shows me everything and taught me always of what have he learned.

I also learned that the business and marketing world have convinced us self-promotion and it is a necessity, because we've managed to turn ourselves into commodities in need of a good sales pitch, and business language frequently reflects this. However, there is a huge difference between acknowledging to yourself and others that you are good at doing something and exaggerating a range of skill sets beyond your comfort zone just to keep up with the competition. Being humble is not about abdicating your self-worth. Rather, it's about being realistic and only emphasizing all that is good and capable within you. In turn, people will know that they can depend on your reliability for those traits. Being humble is wise because it allows the real you to shine through. Humility also ensures that you respect the abilities of others rather than fearing them. The wisdom of accepting your own limitations and connecting with other people's strengths to bolster yours is infinite. 

It is so good to be inspired. It feels great to have a family. Family really inspires infinite possibilities for learning. Learning begins in the family and our parents are the first teachers. We start to develop our learning skills since the day we were born by imitating our father and mother. When we enroll in school, teachers take part in teaching academic subjects and disciplines. From elementary- to secondary levels, we perceive going to school to acquire knowledge and get high scores on the exams so that our parents will be proud. Such perception limits learning to be in the classroom only, with teacher in charge. But the truth is learning experience can be everywhere and anytime. Parents can initiate learning for children in different ways.

Besides the classroom, learning can happen anywhere, for instance, at home, on the way to school, grocery shopping, walking in a public park, and many more. Learning begins when parents initiate a conversation with children – the kind of conversation that triggers children to look at things, to observe, to be inquisitive and eager to try out. Parents should ask questions that lead children to find answers. Concurrently, children will learn to form smart questions. This interactive conversation will be very meaningful when taken in a fun way.
Through hardship and perseverance, they have proven that family inspiration can be a powerful drive to children’s achievements. We know that our goal is to stimulate parents to realize the essence of learning which can be initiated easily in many ways. Not just like that, we also believe that the power of learning will lead the children to a brighter future full of possibilities. 

The story mainly illustrates "learning by observing." Little girl’s mother, despite uneducated, raised her to be tough and taught her a valuable lesson - self-learning. She coached the little girl to be observant, proactive, and confident in tackling problems. Having to work hard from dawn until dusk as a fruit seller at a produce market, her mother watched and gave support to her daughter's daily activities from afar. Today, she completed a Bachelor Degree in Education. 

I am now in my hellish years in College life. Too many requirements to comply, too many subjects to pass, too many adjustments, too many fees, too much flexibility on the classes, and too short sleeping time. But despite that, I have more opportunities to explore my interests and passions. College is my opportunity to be myself and discover my potential. I thank God that my parents are able to send me in the University where professors are really such great mentors. By looking at them, I realized now that they’re not punishing us, the students, by giving too many homework, assignments, activities, etc but they are just make us what we should become in the end. Same goes to our parents; they never get tired of giving an advice even if sometimes, we don’t like it. That’s life. These are my observations based from my experiences. 

The college schedule can also seem crazy at times. Doing homework until midnight is not exceptionally glamorous or easy, but I love what I do and all that I learn. The best and worst part of college is the flexibility it offers. I am able to choose everything: my classes, extracurricular activities, friends, etc. A great deal of responsibility and time management is needed, but with a bit of planning and coffee I can be very successful. Surviving college takes hard work! However, at the end of all this, I will have my degree, and no one can take that away from me. How cool is that? 

This reflection paper will serve as an example of what good students really do. I hope that I have done everything to what purpose this may cause. Thank you.




0 comments :